- Öyvind Fahlström São Paulo, Brazil, 1928 - Stockholm, Sweden, 1976
- Material:Spring wire, magnets, metal sheet and vinyl
- Technique:Acrylic and India ink
- Descriptive technique:Variable structure in painted forms fastened to wire and magnet rods
- Dimensions:112 x 211 x 10 cm
- Category: Variable structure
- Entry date:2011
- Register number:DO01542
- Long-term loan of Sharon Avery-Fahlström collection, 2011
Packing the Hard Potatoes (Chile I), 1974, utilizes a wall-hug shelf cut in Chile’s map outline. Long wires with magnet bases are positioned along the shelf, and atop each wire is a large element. This piece alludes to dramatic changes in the social and political fabric of Chile in the days preceding the coup. It suggests a garden of blossoms that vibrate slightly with air-currents or human approach. Is it an allegory for the fragility of Allende’s regime and the struggle of the Chilean people: flowers easily crushed under the tread of tanks? Certainly this […] is one of the most spectacular and passionate works of the artist and implies that the he is at his best when he identifies, as clearly he does here, with valiant but, nevertheless, doomed political struggles.
Fahlström, Öyvind ( 1928-1976)New York : Arnold Herstand & Company, 1984.
Fahlström, Öyvind ( 1928-1976)New York : Sidney Janis Gallery, 1969.
Madrid : Círculo de Bellas Artes, s.a.
New York : Sidney Janis Gallery, 1970.
Öyvind Fahlström i etern, manipulera välrden : Fäglar i Sverige, Den helige Torsten Nilsson, bilder & manuskript = Öyvind Fahlström on the air, manipulating the world : Birds in Sweden, The Holy Torsten Nilsson, pictures & manuscripts / [editor] Teddy Hultberg.Stockholm : Sveriges radios förlag : Fylkingen,