November 16, 2016 - 10:30 a.m.
Activities and formation
In 1933, Man Ray produced the plaster Portrait of Joella Bayer, the wife of gallery owner Julien Levy. For the exhibition held the following year in the Julien Levy Gallery in New York, Salvador Dalí became involved pictorially in the portrait made from plaster, transforming the piece into a sculpture-object.
To mark the new installations in the permanent Collection in November 2014, the piece Lanas (Yarns) by the artist Juan Hidalgo was assembled. The work, defined by the artist himself as a Zaj environment, was on view for the first time in the German Institute in Madrid in May 1972 to celebrate an end-of-term party, before being exhibited in the Museo Reina Sofía in 2009, in the exhibition The Pamplona Encounters 1972: The End of the Party for Experimental Art.
During the Richard Hamilton retrospective held in the Museo Reina Sofía in 2014, the works exhibited included two installations that now form part of the Museo’s Collection: Man, Machine & Motion, initially exhibited in 1955 in the Hatton Gallery in Newcastle and ICA, London, and An Exhibit, produced in 1957 and also exhibited in the Hatton Gallery, in collaboration with the artists Victor Pasmore and Lawrence Alloway.